Homemade Cough Drops – Feeling sick? These natural homemade cough drops are my go-to when I’m fighting a cold. Made with natural ingredients like raw honey which is known to help suppress coughing and immune boosting coconut oil you can’t go wrong with this natural alternative!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature (Buy Here)
- 1/2 cup raw local honey
- Optional: 1-2 drops of Thieves Essential Oil (Buy Here) or 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon (Buy Here)
- Scoop coconut oil into a mixer bowl and beat with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it’s whipped.
- Add the honey and continue to whip until the honey and oil are mixed.
- Add cinnamon or 1-2 drops of Thieves Essential Oil if using.
- Pour mixture into small ice cube trays (like this one).
- Freeze the coconut cough drops until they’re hard, about 20 minutes.
- Pop the cough drops out of the ice cube tray and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
About The Ingredients
Raw Honey – Known to naturally suppress coughing and help with sleeping due to respiratory infections (source). In clinical studies, honey has shown to be just as effective in alleviating coughs as over the counter cough medicine. Honey is also known to help alleviate allergies. According to this article, taking a few teaspoons of local raw honey a day prior to pollen season can be effective in boosting your immunity to pollen!
Coconut Oil – This healthy fat is rich in antioxidants and contains lauric acid, which is antibacterial and antiviral. Coconut oil can be used to help prevent colds by boosting the immune system. Once the cold is set in, coconut oil can help reduce the length of sickness and can be quite soothing when added to warm honey-lemon water or tea.
BONUS INGREDIENT: Thieves Essential Oil – Made up of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary, this blend is named after four thieves who supposedly used the oils to protect themselves while robbing people dying of the plague. Thieves oil has actually been tested for its cleansing abilities and has shown to be very effective in supporting the immune system and eliminating bacteria. Note: Not all essential oils are created equal. I only use this brand and feel comfortable ingesting these oils in very low doses with plenty of healthy fat like in this recipe.
Cinnamon – If you don’t have Thieves cinnamon can be used in its place. Cinnamon has been used in folklore and traditional medicine to help alleviate cold and flu symptoms.